Stars shine at Transdev Blazefield's Amazing Awards25 January 2018
They’re passionate people with a pride in delivering the best service for thousands of customers on buses right across the North of England.
And after staff from six Transdev bus companies across the North of England voted for their favourites, the very best enjoyed that winning feeling at their employer Transdev’s second annual Amazing Awards, presented on Thursday 18 January 2018 in Bradford.
Over 130 nominees and their partners attended the awards evening, held at the National Science and Media Museum in Bradford.
The seven winners of the coveted Amazing Awards were each directly nominated by their own colleagues, and selected from a shortlist of the company’s finest teams and individuals.
Awards presented were:
• The Lifetime Star Award – presented to Albert Gibson, who reached an incredible 50 years’ service with The Harrogate Bus Company and its predecessors in 2017. Albert is one of the town’s best-known faces as he sells tickets and provides travel information for thousands of customers at The Harrogate Bus Company’s travel shop on the town’s bus station every year. He was also shortlisted for the Unsung Hero prize at the national UK Bus Awards in 2015
Paul Sinha, Albert Gibson and Alex Hornby
•The Driver of the Year Award – won by Dale French, who drives the Cityzap express service between York and Leeds. Based at York depot, Dale was shortlisted in 2017 as Top National Bus Driver of the Year at the 22nd UK Bus Awards, the industry’s premier competition which showcases the best of British transport talent from hundreds of bus and coach operators up and down the country
Dale French and Diane Oxberry
• The Hero of the Year Award – presented to Malton-based Coastliner bus driver Jon Peckitt, for his quick thinking which helped to avoid an accident when he came across a broken-down car in the middle of the night on the A64. Jon took it upon himself to make sure everyone in the car was OK, and then helped to push the car safely clear of the road before continuing his journey to Leeds
• The Rising Star Award – presented to Andy Turnbull, Service Delivery Manager at The Harrogate Bus Company’s Starbeck depot, award for his hard work to provide a high quality and reliable network of bus services after he took on his current role in 2017
• The Green Road Champion Award – won by The Blackburn Bus Company driver Moshin Malek for his smooth, safe and economical driving. The ‘Green Road’ system uses advanced computerised technology to constantly track every bus in the company’s fleet, to deliver a more comfortable journey while improving driver safety and reducing fuel consumption, vehicle wear and tear and accidents
• The Team of the Year Award – presented to the Engineering Support Unit team at the Blackburn Bus Company’s Intack depot, who provide support for all six of parent company Transdev’s depots across Lancashire and Yorkshire, responding quickly to get buses back on the road after major accident damage or breakdowns – and who have also transformed dozens of buses over the past 12 months, with major refurbishment programmes which have helped the firm to launch new services across the North, including the Cityzap express between Manchester and Leeds
• The Engineer of the Year Award – won by The Blackburn Bus Company engineer Pete Johnson, for his hard work to keep the company’s buses safely on the road while minimising breakdowns. Pete has 42 years of experience within the bus industry, and is a hugely popular member of the team. Pete’s always eager to help and is currently assisting with re-organising the depot fitters’ shift roster
Alex Hornby, CEO of Transdev in Yorkshire and Lancashire, said: “Amazing people are at the very heart of what makes a successful business, and whether they drive our customers safely to their destination, make sure every bus is safe and reliable, or provide the best support behind the scenes, our fantastic people make our company the success it is.
“The high standards set by everyone on the shortlist for this year’s Amazing Awards made choosing seven winners a challenging, yet enjoyable, task.”
The winners of the seven coveted Amazing Awards were each directly nominated by their own colleagues, and selected from a shortlist of the company’s finest teams and individuals.
Alex Hornby said: “At the heart of our company, we believe in three things – employing people who are happy to work with us, serving people who are proud to be our customers, and creating a business which is innovative and successful.
“Our core values, passion, partnership, performance and commitment shine through in every one of our Amazing Awards winners. We’re proud to celebrate everything that’s good about the people who deliver the highest standard of service for our customers, every day.”
Senior representatives from North Yorkshire County Council and the West Yorkshire Combined Authority (Metro) joined several of Transdev’s suppliers at the Amazing Awards event, which was co-hosted by comedian, broadcaster Paul Sinha (aka ‘The Sinnerman’ from ITV’s hit game show ‘The Chase’), and BBC TV and radio presenter Dianne Oxberry.
Councillor Susan Hinchcliffe, Leader of Bradford Council, said: “It was great to be with Transdev celebrating success at their awards night. Bus companies are an essential part of our economy. In Bradford they support 28 million passengers a year go about their daily lives so it’s a great opportunity to say thank you for a service that is so important to so many of us.”
18 July 2019
Rossos amazing 15 per cent rise in customer numbers in just 18 months wins praise from Northern Powerhouse Minister and Lancashire MP Jake Berry
The Government’s Northern Powerhouse Minister Jake Berry is saluting the huge increase in customers choosing to travel with bus firm Rosso – just 18 months since it became part of the Transdev family of companies across the North.
4 July 2019
Wednesday is bargain day throughout July on Rossos popular Lakeline buses.
Get around for just one pound – that’s the amazing midweek discount deal being offered on Rosso’s Lakeline 457 every Wednesday throughout July.
27 June 2019
Britains' most scenic bus route takes the fast lane to Yorkshire's coast and country.
Exciting new “CastleLine” buses direct to Castle Howard compliment new Coastliner Express summer trips to Yorkshire’s beach resorts.